Dear reader. Our project has come to an end. This repository is consequenlty no longer maintained or updated. It is kept online for archiving purposes. Please use it with the foreknowledge that the tools and advice found herein are not necessarily accurate and possibly no longer valid.
A safe working environment is essential for investigative journalists. Because journalists work with sensitive information that adversaries often prefer not to see published, training on keeping themselves, their data and their sources secure is paramount. So during the last two days of our training, Free Press Unlimited (FPU) will focus on advanced digital security techniques, including encryption, secure communication and methods to stay “under the radar” during investigations. This includes:
- Security of data at rest: includes resources on how to secure the information stored in your devices.
- Security of data in transit: for the security of information exchanged with others.
- Security of your devices: for the security and privacy of mobiles, laptops, tablets and the like.
- Social media and anti-phishing strategies: includes resources on how to safely use social media in the course of your investigative work and interact with others securely.
- Resources: a list of online resources, manuals and guides.
- Under Support you’ll find resources that you might need in emergency situations as well as normal situations when you need to build yourself up to guard against potential threats in the future.
- The training material section lists relevant material from the training.
- Finally, the FAQ (Frenquently Asked Questions) section catalogues answers given to specific questions asked by trainees.
See Money Trail for more information about the project.
FPU has established a Technical Support Desk that participants can reach out to for digital security-related advice and support by writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FPU is also part of TOTEM, an e-learning platform that helps journalists and activists use digital security and privacy tools and tactics more effectively in their work. Check out TOTEM regularly and enroll in courses as they become available.
Money Tail security headquarters Copyright (C) 2018 Stichting Free Press Unlimited This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, visit http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.